Re: LFN Utilities for Win32

** Reply to message from "M.C."  on Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:44:37
+0100

> Under W95 (FAT) I
> see a brief "File not found" message when the routine arrives to the
> offending filename but, when the routine processes the following
> line/filename, the offending long name appears perfectly written ...

That's because the normal (fast) procedure fails. Formerly, the routine
assumed that if it couldn't find a file, then maybe it's a directory. What I
added yesterday is an intermediate step that says, hey, maybe there's an error
-- because EXIST said that the {dir|file} does, in fact, exist. So the routine
makes a much more painstaking search for a _file_ in the current directory,
before considering the possibility that the name is a directory. There will be
a tiny speed penalty on _one_ file in every directory, under DIRLFN or DIRSFN.

One thing I haven't done is bulletproofed it for high-order chars in _directory
names_. That strikes me as something that would be rare to the point of
near-nonexistence, more of a theoretical exercise than a practical benefit --
and I'm not even sure that XyWrite would be able to navigate to such a
directory. So the hell with it.

The main point is, the routine isn't going to crash anymore.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx