Re: LFN Utilities for Win32

A short reaction to the following observation:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> Re: high-order (e.g. accented) characters (>127) in filenames. It's a
> tricky issue, and depends heavily on the file system (FAT[32] or NTFS)
> and the OpSys. NTFS, for example, seems to always work. FAT is
> completely flaky -- sometimes you can display a XyWrite directory of
> these files, but then you can't CAll them. Sometimes XyWrite considers
> the characters to be illegal, and other times the command processor
> won't recognize them. Without going into this at length (this is
> basically a non-issue in North America, and I think very rare
> elsewhere), the bottom line is that I've built a strong procedure that
[...]

I have a dozen or so files with accented characters, since I work with
foreign languages a lot, and I expect people who work with foreign
languages even more than I do also use them. And North America includes
Canada, though I have no illusions that there are a large number of
XyWrite users in Québec (or anywhere else).

I don't use accented characters because they're cute, but because I spell
the way things are spelled (with some concessions to the computer), and
the author of a book on Gabriel Fauré needs to distinguish him from his
friend and biographer Gabriel Faure. (I'm not making this up.) Most
people, I'm sure, can do without accented characters in their filenames,
but I thought Manuel Castelao might like company.

Native XyWrite hasn't ever given me any problems with accented letters in
the >127<256 range, but that's probably neither here nor there, since
Robert Holmgren is addressing his new LFN utility *in relation to*
XyWrite, I believe.

Cheers,
Carlo Caballero

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx