Re: XY Under Vista

Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:
An acquaintance of mine once frantically tried to convince me that the DOS
prompt had disappeared in Windows Me when all it had done was being
moved a level deeper in the Start menu (of course that opsys was an
abomination in most other respects).

An abomination indeed. windows ME(ss), I always call it. Absolutely a
new low, even for Redmond Rubbish.
Carl Distefano  wrote:
I've always seen that as more of a video/graphics issue unique to
windowed mode, rather than a VDM issue per se: if you toggle full-
screen, the jerky keystroke goes away. The underlying ability to
run DOS commands and DOS programs, including XyWrite, hasn't
changed.

Really? I always run in windowed mode; I will try full-screen next
time I'm at the office. But I cannot get dBase 5 for DOS to run under
W2K, full screen or windowed.
Nor does it seem likely that the VDM will be pulled anytime soon. Even if dumbed-down ordinary users ignore the command line, the developers who write OpSyses no doubt still depend on it for their work; why would they deprive themselves? And if it
is ever jettisoned, there will almost certainly be third-party VDMs
to replace it. I'm not losing any sleep over this.
We devoutly hope. But I still think emulation or, better,
virtualization, under ANY other opsys is a more promising future. For
one thing, Microsludge's outrageously insulting activation schemes are
intolerable to some of us. But that's a moral, not a technological, issue.

Robert Holmgren wrote:
> The architecture of the machine is crucial, I believe. In future,
> nearly everybody is going to have an x64 computer (manufacturers
> won't be making anything else) and they'll run a 64-bit operating
> system. I've been under the impression, since the earliest days of
> Longhorn/Vista development, that 64-bit Vista will not run any
> 16-bit Windows programs like NBWin. I hope I'm wrong.
And I gather it would be useless to ask the NB crowd what hardware they're running on? What about emulation or virtualization? Could you run a 16-bit app on a virtual 32-bit opsys within the 64-bit one?

And let me second Harry's Welcome Back!

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx