Re: Choosing a virtualization solution

Quoting Kari Eveli :
VirtualPC is an ok product, but perhaps too tied to the platform. VMware takes over your computer, and thinks there can be no other solutions. VBox is free, more flexible, and very capable. Great command-line options, too, for starting and managing (VMware has them, too, no doubt). Anyway, you want to use hardware-enabled virtualization, and that means that you must use ONLY ONE such solution at a time. Otherwise crashes may happen. Choose one, and stick to it!
Thanks, Kari. I think the first thing I'll try is to run Win 7-32
under VBox and see how it goes. If I encounter Bill's problem with
XyWrite not being able to display directories, I may have to consider
a Plan B. Although I must say that Jon's suggestion of running Win
7-32 in XP Mode under Win 7-64 also has its attractions.
I like Rafe's idea of a recovery partition, and plan to follow my
normal practice of segregating OSes from programs and data files on
separate drives.
But first the new machine has to get here. I just recycled not only my
Dell but also a PC clone dating back to the mid-90s, and there's now
an eerie emptiness under my desk at home. For a brief moment I
thought, "Freedom! I can read books again!" -- but no, I want that new
computer.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx