Re: looking into a file w/o opening it

Bill,

≪I occasionally need to look at an improperly denominated binary file
so that I can discover what it is and give it the proper extension, and
XyWrite has always been great for this, unless the file is too large. I
used just to invoke "d 1a=1" or something like that so display wouldn't
stop at the first ctrl-z. This sounds like a vastly better way to do it.≫

I have a nifty utility called WhatFormat which shows you the internal
headers of any file (even with false extensions). Very useful for
identifying trojans which have been deliberately mis-extended as
something harmless. I'll send it to you off-list, if you want it.
Nothing to install in Windows, flies under the radar of the
Registry--just unzip and then double-click the .exe file.

Cheers,