Re: XyWin on XP

≪After reinstalling a couple of programs XyWin stopped loading. After
a System Restore it became evident that Workshare (a document security
and comparison suite), or some component thereof, was causing the
problem. But XyWin was not loading even before I had installed
Workshare about a year ago.

No simple solutions, here.≫
Sometimes it is no single installation or service pack, but a certain combination of them in a certain order which leads to an undesirable effect on some other part of the OS or some other application. It is maddening to have to document everything one does in order to track these things down and later undo them (or not do them in the first place). More maddening is the fact that some things cannot be undone in Windows; uninstalling programs and service packs does not always return a machine to its pre-install state.
We've discussed this before, but I'll mention it again anyway. The
industrial-strength solution to this problem is to create images of
systems once they are running correctly. If a system should stop running
correctly (due to programs updating themselves or service packs causing
things to fail), the hardisk is blanked and the prior image is copied
onto to it, thus restoring the prior state.
Still, it would be useful to know what programs (such as Workshare or
others) typically cause XyWin to choke.
A workaround might be to partition the hardisk and install as little of
Windows as necessary to get it to see the other partitions, plus XyWin;
install Windows again on the other major partition and all the rest of
the stuff you usually use, without XyWin. Keep your XyWin partition
clean and mean, and never allow anything to update itself on that partition.

Cheers,