Re: XyWin on XP

--- flash  wrote:

> More maddening is the fact that some things
> cannot be undone in
> Windows; uninstalling programs and service packs
> does not always return
> a machine to its pre-install state.
>
> We've discussed this before, but I'll mention it
> again anyway. The
> industrial-strength solution to this problem is to
> create images of
> systems once they are running correctly. If a system
> should stop running
> correctly (due to programs updating themselves or
> service packs causing
> things to fail), the hardisk is blanked and the
> prior image is copied
> onto to it, thus restoring the prior state.

We're in complete agreement here -- I only regret not
following through diligently enough on what I _know_
should be done. (But not for XyWin's sake: that's a
hopeless case, IMO. If / when I wanted to go that
way, I'd go with NBWin.)

I have a laptop now that chokes and freezes while
attempting certain Win Updates. A couple of them it
*thinks* it already has installed, but doesn't. The
Win Update log just shows "Failed." (It does have the
latest program for doing Win updates.) Error codes,
KB articles, and online forum searching about this
were unrevealing. (One pitfall to watch out for is
that certain patches or updates must go on in a
particular order. Deviating from that can get you
into trouble. But their system is *not smart enough*
to guide or caution you about this. Win Update
already checks that WGA B.S., and checks to see what
you have installed; how much more difficult to check
for pre-requisites ?)  Even a consultant of long
experience could not resolve this for me.

In a word: JUNK ! I can't recall any remotely
comparable problems in many years of using OS/2 | eCS,
and that is pretty much what I'm hearing from friends
or relatives who use the Mac.

 Jordan