Re: Lost Expanded Memory

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Mon, 3 Nov
2003 18:14:57 GMT

Paul:

> I find that I get the "not enough memory to perform this
> function" message when I try to use the Microlytics UK
> dictionary.

It's a real bugger, isn't it? There's a lot of info about
this mess at HELP MICROSPL. However... in very
brief... here's what you do. Don't worry about no expanded
memory, that's a separate issue -- if you want to solve
that, I need to know what BIOS you're using -- exactly.
But for now let's just get the dictionary working.

In SETTINGS.DFL, make sure:
 df om=31
 df zx=0

Put two files in your Editor directory -- name them thus:
 UKDICT.SPL should be 141,901 bytes 12-04-1990
 USDICT.SPL should be 110,464 bytes 2-04-1987

Copy the *U.S.* dictionary
(http://www.xywrite.com/xy4/xy4supp/dict_spl.zip) to filename
DICT.SPL *before* you launch XyWrite. XyWrite MUST load
with the U.S. dictionary installed at launch time!! Sounds
ridiculous, but that's the way it is (I didn't invent the
rules).

Launch XyWrite.

The following can easily be automated (XPLed, e.g. with a
frame in U2 -- I'll write one if you wish), but let's do it
manually to learn the technique.

CAll any text. Or no! let's do this instead: Open a
temporary window with command NE. Type a single line,
with the following:
 hello realize realise goodbye
then put your cursor at the left margin. Command SPELL.
"realise" should be flagged, and "realize" suggested as an
alternative. (It is *NECESSARY* to use the U.S. speller at
least ONCE before toggling to the U.K. speller, so if you
automated this whole procedure you'd open a window, write
some dumb correctly-spelled word like "and" into the window,
issue func SO, i.e. "SpellOne" i.e. spell check the single
word "and", and then you'd abort the window. But we'll do
it manually, for didactic purposes...)

Now, issue this exact command on the CMline:
 dos/nv start cmd.exe /c copy d:\path\UKDICT.SPL d:\path\DICT.SPL
where "d:\xy4" above is Editor's location, which is also the
location of the SPL files -- right?

Now, again put your cursor at the left margin of the
"reali?e" line. Command SPELL. This time, contrary to
last time, "_realize_" should be flagged, and "_realise_"
suggested as an alternative.

If that doesn't work, I'll eat my hat.

So it's necessary to start Xy4 with a BATch file that copies
USDICT.SPL to DICT.SPL before launching XyWrite. If you
want me to automate the rest of the procedure, so it runs in
STARTUP.INT, I will. I should probably do it anyway...

Let me know...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx