Re: Basic TY

Hi Robert, yes, I was a little hopeless in this message, apols to all.
How embarrassing to see how years of working with MacOS and Windows has
dumbed me down as a user.

Current printer is a Lexmark C532, so has an interpreter for both PCL and PostScript. XyWrite IV has _always_  just worked for me under XP, without my doing anything in the least extraordinary. Whether the printer was hooked up to parallel, USB, or network, my XyWrite docs always printed. They went into the XP print queue, and that was that. What on earth was I doing right?

The printer driver I have been using for countless years is post4039.prn, and it has never given me a problem with any PS capable printer, such as Lexmark, HP, Samsung, whatever. It is set to send data to LPT1, but XP has always sent it I think to the default printer.

Were you redirecting the port
of your default printer to LPT1 or LPT2, perchance?

Not to my knowledge

 What do you
mean, "as far as I remember it just worked"?  As far as you
remember...??!  You mean, maybe it didn't work??

No, it always worked. I mean I don't remember going through any special setup for the few WinXP sets that I've run XyWrite IV under. I've gone through all the XP properties and I can't see where LPT1 redirection would occur. I guess I just thought it would occur automatically. Obviously I have done something to block "LPT1" I think, or XyWrite wouldn't impenetrably freeze when I just ty a small test file.

OK, I'm off to the search through the archives you suggested . . . . . what joy!