Re: emacs...

EMACS is basically an editor, not a word processor. I used it for
some time for email, since it was the most flexible editor
available at my university's site for use with TELNET. But I was
delighted when I could switch to Netscape for email, since EMACS
is superbly anti-intuitive. Of course, any hotkey is simply a
finger movement or two, which one gets used to tactually, not
intellectually. But those for EMACS seem designed to be as hard
as possible to learn and remember.

I am attaching a small file I made for my own use that summarizes
the basic emacs commands. It will give you an idea of what the
commands do and what they are.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-6304
(215) 898-7454
nsivin@xxxxxxxx
®OF1IN,1IN¯®FC¯®MDBO¯®UFCLARENDON_C¯®SZ10PT¯®SY10U,0,3,1¯®UFCGOMEGA¯®SZ12PT¯®SY10U,0,0,2¯EMACS COMMANDS®MDNM¯
®FR¯
95.3.23
®FL¯®TS1IN,3IN,4IN¯
®MDUL¯MAKE EMACS DEFAULT EDITOR:®MDNM¯ In ELM, do o for options, + for 2d option screen, e to change default editor, type: emacs, E to change reply editor, same for e, do > to save changes, r to return.
To replace, use /pkg/bin/pico.elm
®IP0IN,3IN¯®MDUL¯GENERAL®MDNM¯ (for M press Esc key and release before
next key)
^g	cancel cmd
^u(+no.)	repeat count for following cmd [or Esc + no.]
^v ®MDIT¯n®MDNM¯	universal repeater for next command; default 4x {27}
^l	redisplay, cursor at middle of screen
spell check {63}  expand abbreviations {67}  picture mode {164}
®MDUL¯BLOCK®MDNM¯
^2	set mark	^xh	mark whole buffer
^x^x	exchange point & mark (to check where mark is)
^w	delete, mark to cursor  Mw	copy, ditto
^y	undelete, move or copy deleted
®MDUL¯CURSOR MOVEMENT®MDNM¯
^a	beg. of line	^e	end of line
^p	previous line	^n	next line
^b	back 1 char	^f	forward 1 char
Mb	back 1 word	Mf	forward 1 word
Ma	back 1 sentence	Me	forward 1 sentence
M[	back 1 para	M]	forward 1 para
Mv	back 1 screen	^v	forward 1 screen
M<	beg of file	M>	end of file
®MDUL¯DELETE®MDNM¯
^k	to EOL (Esc1^k, ln)	Mk	to end of sent
Bksp	char backwd	MBksp	del wd backwd
^d	char fwd	Md	del wd fwd
®MDUL¯EDIT®MDNM¯
Mq	reformat para	Mg	reformat region
^t	transpose ltrs	Mt	transpose words (cursor on 2d)
Mc	init caps word	indent region {146}
Mu	uppercase word	Ml	lowercase word
^x^u	uppercase region	^x^l	lowercase region
®MDUL¯EXIT, SAVE®MDNM¯
^x ^b 	list buffers
^x 1	zap buffer list, back to orig window
^x k	del current buffer
^x rename-buffer		rename current buffer
^x ^f ®MDIT¯f®MDNM¯	open buffer with specified or blank file
^x 4 ^f	load file in other window
^x b	move to other buffer (add ®MDIT¯f®MDNM¯ if desired)
^x s	save all buffers, query name if new
^x ^s	save to file shown
^x ^c	end session
^z	suspend session	commands in list {82}
®MDUL¯FILES®MDNM¯
Use TAB to complete filename
^x^v	zap current buffer, load new
^x i	insert file
^x^s	save
^x^w	save as
®MDUL¯MACRO®MDNM¯
^x (	begin	^x )	end
^g	abort macro record	^x e	execute
^x u	undo	^u^x(	add to existing, end with ^x )
Mx name-last-keyboard-macro RTN	[name] RTN   save current macro (for current session)
^x^f .emacs RTN Mx insert-kbd-macro RTN [macroname] RTN ^x^s  save saved macro in .emacs startup
file
Mx [name]	execute named macro 	(temp or in startup file)
®MDUL¯SCREEN®MDNM¯
^l	cursor to ctr	^u 0 ^l	cursor to top
^v	screen down	Mv	screen up
(these do lines down/up when preceded by Esc-no. of lines)
®MDUL¯SEARCH &C®MDNM¯
^s	search (increm)	^r	search bkwd	^g^g	stop search
M5	replace w/query	Mx repl s	RTN search str RTN replace str ^r	do, bkwd RTN
^r	interrupt to edit	^c c	resume replace
wild cards {62}
®MDUL¯UNDO &C®MDNM¯
^x u or ^*-	 undo	^y	insert buffer (use to copy)
		My	insert early buffers in order
®MDUL¯WINDOWS®MDNM¯
^x 1/2	1/2 windows	^x o	to other window
M^v	other window down
®MDUL¯MODES®MDNM¯
Change with Mx 	fundamental-mode: default
Check with ^h m	text-mode: for typing text
All are toggles	auto-fill-mode: for word wrap (text mode)
®MDUL¯HELP®MDNM¯
^h	a =apropos keyword, c =command, f=function, ~k=long info on key, ^p=brief info on key, t=tutorial
read MAN files	 {134}
1