Footnote ref. nos.

I find that I reset the default "LH" (for relative size and altitude of
super/subscripts) differently -- ad hoc -- for different typefaces.

It's not so convenient, however, to set super/subscripts in a different
typeface from the one used for text. The only way I've found of doing this
is to change the typeface each time a superscript arrives: which is not
only a nuisance, but clutters up the file intolerably.

Has anyone found a way to (for instance) set the text in a traditional font
like Times Roman or Garamond but have superscripts in a sans-serif
Helvetica or Univers? It would be particularly useful where I need
superscripts for two different purposes simultaneously -- e.g. in the font
of the text for footnote numbers, and in some deliberately contrasting font
for something else (in music analysis one convention is to use superscript
arabics instead of "prime" signs for variants of a theme; and there are
some references in historical bibliography that use superscripts for 2nd
and subsequent publications in a given year).

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel