Re: New monitor/bad resolution

Leslie,

It sounds like your problem is that you can't set the new monitor to its "native" (preferred) resolution. I've seen the phenomenon before--fat letters, thin letters, blurry letters. It goes away if you get the right resolution. Try lots of different resolution settings under Display Properties/Settings. If it really needs 1400 x 900 and you can't get, or don't want to spring for, a graphic adapter for your Dell that will supply 1400 x 900, then don't use this monitor.

Wrong resolution is no doubt the basic cause of your problem. But in addition, if you get that solved, there are tweaks:

1. Turn on Clear Type. It's in Display Properties/Appearance/Effects. It will improve everything, Windows and Dos alike. But it's like a 30% improvement--noticeable, welcome, but not on the level of getting the resolution right.

2. If you are running Xy in a Window, I strongly advise using Lucida Console. Follow Flash's screenshots, "Step 1" and "Step 2."

How does the regular C: prompt (MS-DOS) box look on your system?

Otherwise, using Tame would raise Xy up to whatever imperfect level your windows programs have.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx