From: mailto:lsavan@xxxxxxxxLeslie Savan
Subject: Re: New monitor/bad resolution

Well, a bit of progress on both the Xywrite and monitor fronts, but still major legibility problems.

Thanks to Andy's and Flash's suggestions, I have made my Xywrite window much larger, with larger type. I switched from Bitmap to TrueType (I don't have Lucinda Console or raster that you mentioned), and it's now in 13x22 (that's lines, I suppose).

But it's confusing: Last night, none of the improvements I'd made in the Xy window would show up on the full screen. Today, however, I turned on the computer, and the full screen was quite changed--into tiny squeezed type that's unreadable.

I'm not totally opposed to writing in Xy window now, but two problems there: 1) I can't get a righthand margin--the type goes right up against the vertical border of the window, and 2) the new TrueType typeface is sans serif, which isn't the worst thing, I know, but I sure did like the serifed font of Xywrite in full screen--I guess that's the Bitmap. Bitmap still shows up in full screen--I'm unable to change the font there--but, as I said, it's shrunken and squeezed, and still blurry. It seems that the full screen either doesn't respond at all or responds weirdly to the changes I make in the Xy window.

Does this have anything to with anything? In Editor Properties, under Screen, I've tried changing the number of lines--from default to 25 to 50. I've changed back to 25, and again, whatever I do in the Xy window, doesn't seem to translate in the full screen. (I've tried restarting the computer several times to see if this effects it, and it doesn't seem to.)

Or is this a problem? Of all the icons at the top of the Xy window--copy, font, properties, font, etc., the only one that doesn't respond to clicking it, is "background." Anyone know what that's for?

As for the new LCD monitor itself: I somehow found how to make the
font 125% the size. The list of email, the address bar, and the toolbar at the top (or is that the taskbar?) are easier to ready now simply because the letters are larger. But the underlying legibility problems remain: white ghosts behind some
letters (especially in black-on-gray), other letters blurred; broken,
unsolid letters, and thin and thick renditions of the same letter, sometimes
in the same line. (As I wrote that last sentence, I got a thin "t" in thin,
and a thick "t" in thick!).

That is, the legibility problems I described in my first message below are
making me think that (whether or not I solve the Xywrite problem) an LCD widescreen is just a bad match for my old ME computer. I saw in some
2005 archived messages that Jordan seemed pleased enough with a 19" Planar LCD  and Irene Silverman even more pleased with a Samsung SyncMaster 570 V flat LCD screen.
http://p70-144.acedsl.com/xywrite/2005/msg00157.htm

If either of you see this message, can you tell me how are those monitors working now? Or can anyone else suggest an LCD monitor more compatible with an ME? Or should I go CRT?
Thanks for any help beforehand!

Leslie