Re: Cursor Moves

Reply to note from "Harrison, Shawn"
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 9:01:48 -0400

-> Outstanding solution. Thanks!

Shawn:

First of all, callow youth that you are ;-), you failed to prune
non-pure Ascii characters from your message, with the result that it
became well-nigh unintelligible. This is how your revised code came
across:

-> The following seems to do the trick (in XPL III+):
->
-> =AESX01,=AECP=AF=AFBC seb ||XC =AEif=AEer=AF=AFTF
-> =AEgl2=AF=AEei=AFNP= =AEif=AECP=AF>=3D=AEPV01=AF=AFPP->
=AEei=AF=AElb2=AF
-> ....................     ..       =20 ......
->
-> The changes are under-dotted.

Or so you thought. As to your substantive comments:

-> (1) if I am already at the top of the file, alt-up will put the
-> cursor on the second paragraph; this creates an oscillating
-> cursor. (2) if the paragraphs are separated by two carriage
-> returns, and the cursor is located on the second , the
-> result of alt-up will be to put the cursor on the *following*
-> paragraph.

Quite so. For the fix, however, smaller is better. The following
addresses both of your points.

>BX (seb )NP >=>PP

(The sole change is, "If cursor position is *greater than or* equal
to the value of S/G 01...".)

Forget error-checking for this kind of thing. The chances that
you're going to hit your alt-up at top of file are on the order of
snowflakes in Hades. In any event, the beep my revised code
produces in that unlikely situation is totally benign; the cursor
now behaves as expected (doesn't move).

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/