Re: Wireless access (off topic)

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sat, 29 Oct 2005
15:04:41 -0400

> 1. If I connect to an unsecured, non-encrypted broadcaster, am I at risk?

Sure.

> Exposed?

Sure. Theoretically. A savvy person would know you were there, if they were
looking for intruders, or trying to entice & entrap. They might consult their
DHCP table frequently (doesn't everybody? just kidding). Its a no-brainer to
discover whether somebody is interloping, if you're poised for it. But what
are they going to do to you? The answer depends more on your machine than
their intentions. If you have a NetBIOS or NetBEUI machine with Sharing of all
drives for everybody, and you don't require a password to get onto your machine
(which may be a suitable setup for your home LAN)... all they have to do is
run NET VIEW to see who's on their network, and then NET USE to access your
machine. And there are much more sophisticated methods. But, that's supposing
the worst. Most of these networks are "administered" by plug-and-play people
who know nothing at all. Wireless software can give you a feel for the
sophistication of the networks you could potentially access; you can tell, for
example, whether the network is using the access point's default values, or has
been intelligently configured. Still... there are no guarantees. Maybe
something is different when you use a Starbucks or other public AP, or drag
your notebook to an Internet cafe, I don't know -- but it sure seems the same.
Bottom line: whenever feasible, you want to be wired (faster, more reliable),
use a router, and shut down every port.

> 2. Is the hitch-hiking moral and legal?

Immoral? I don't think so -- do you? Illegal? I don't know. Seems to me
that they're invading your space with a signal, no? OTOH, there's probably
some law about interception of or piggybacking on communications (cellphone
signals penetrate your space, but I doubt that you're entitled to use somebody
else's service). Consult a lawyer.

FYI, WEP is full of holes too.

> would my usage slow down the person whose access point I'm using?

Maybe, depends on their connection. Cable or satellite or wireless radio, yes
(but the shared bandwidth fluctuates all the time on these services). DSL,
very little. Most communications are short bursts. Do you notice when there
are heavy demands on your LAN? I seldom do.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx