Re: Re Is it a M$ world?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Binswanger"
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Re Is it a M$ world?
Wendell wrote:
> Hmmm, I'm no copy editor, but I don't like parens in > dialogue.
Nor does this copy editor. Parens in print mean 'Reader, you
can
skip the words enclosed here.'

Just try to express that aside while speaking in the open air.
Au contraire, I take parens in dialogue to signal a temporary
dropping in pitch and volume of the oral statement, which (if
you get my drift) is exactly what is wanted.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx
You can -- almost -- do that with

"...statement, which -- if you get my drift -- is exactly..."

by almost is not good enough. I side with Harry on this one.
And by the way -- if one lacks [[s, one can use double curved parens 99like this)).
George H [for Harry] Scithers