Re: searching for text across subdirectories

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Fri, 19 Sep 2003
10:37:01 -0400

> I often use se *.* /searchstring/ in an empty window to find a text string
> across all files in the directory. But is there a way to do this that
> includes subdirectories? I'm sure it's included in the Jumbo utils.

Yes -- and it (Subdirectory_SEarch) is really fast too (no indexing, no
nothing, just execute) -- but you should use U2 v114 (for late fixes). Exact
same syntax as the native command, except it's SSE instead of SE:

SSE filespec.ext{separator_char}search_$tring{separator_char}
 e.g.
SSE *.mnu|salami|
SSEA/f *.*|salamiObaloney|
        ^
        "OR" wildcard

P.S. It's worth pointing out that multi-file searches require both a filename
spec AND an extension. Thus, *.* works, but * fails.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx