Re: Type command in XyWrite III+ in Windows 95

** Reply to note from "Judson J. Emerick, Art Department, Pomona College, Claremont, California" Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:11:58 -0700 (PDT)

Are you trying to print the _whole_ 830 pages? Because, if so, XyWrite is writing the
entire formatted document to your Operating System spooler device. At least, that's the
way it works under OS/2, and I'd be mighty surprised if it didn't work that way under
every other OS (except DOS, which didn't have a built-in spooler). So the lag you're
experiencing occurs because XyWrite isn't writing to your printer's (limited) RAM at all,
but rather to the spooler. Since the printer's RAM is just a few megabytes max, under DOS
the printer had to push out paper in order to clear memory before it could accept more
text from XyWrite. Meanwhile you drank coffee -- for hours. The wonder is, that we put
up with DOS for so long. What junk.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx