Re: Type command in XyWrite III+ in Windows 95

Judson J. Emerick wrote:

> After arranging my type command on
> XyWrite's command line, and pressing Enter, my Brother HL630 laser printer
> (it can emulate an old HP LaserJet IIP) just sits idle on my
> desk for many seconds on-and-on before the printing of a file will
> start. In Windows 3.1 on my old 486 machine my XyWrite files would
print out
> without delay. Does anyone know how to get Windows 95 to behave better
> in this respect?

There are two solutions, or rather answers, to your problem. The first one
is to realize that it can be considered not a problem but rather an
advantage. What happens during those seconds on-and-on when your printer
sits idle is that XyWrite offloads the entire print job to the print
spooler of Win95. Once that is completed, and Windows starts to print,
XyWrite is free for other tasks (or you can also shut it down, if you
wish). Under plain DOS, XyWrite printing out an 800-page file would be
tied up for hours on end.

The other answer, if you really want Xy to print as under regular DOS, is
as follows: double-click on the Printer icon in Control Panel, right click
on the icon for your printer, choose Properties and Details, click on
"Spool Settings" and turn off DOS print spooling.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx