Re: Xywrite Media Sighting

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Tom Hawley and Carl wrote:
>
> > > There's a mention of Xywrite in the current issue of PC Magazine!
> >
> >Here's another recent mention, in the Sacramento Bee.
> >
> >http://www.sacbee.com/content/shopping/on_computers/story/11286543p-12201715c.html
> >
> >Nice to know that some newsrooms are still using Xy.
>
> I sent him info on joining our list, and how to set autosave (DF AOT).

It's not gonna happen, but, you know -- IF there was some way to acquire the rights to
the Xy4DOS source code (or even perhaps the Xy3+DOS sources) -- and this would have to
be at a sub-firesale price, I guess -- and just give it away, give it to the Linux
community, whatever, this fine product might live for *another* 20 years. At that
point, the biggest problem would likely be printer drivers, and in that scenario I
think someone in OpenSourceVille might start rolling new ones. Yeah, there's the whole
USB issue, and the arrival of some new CPU architecture that may not abide antique
16-bit software like this . . . but I'd feel a little better about our
beyond-the-short-term prospects.

Jordan