OT: ff

Hmm. Interesting point. Of course, I'm more accustomed to using "et.
seq." for "following" (grin!), but I assume the doubling for plurality
notion is behind ff. there, just as it is in the musical notation. The
OED, interestingly enough, does not record even f. for "following", but
does list this abbreviated usage: "in a ship's log, F stands for
fog, FF for thick fog. There is a standard handbook of
abbreviations, but I don't seem to have a copy here.
Patricia