Re: OT: ff

Back in the days before Zip codes, we would sometimes use the word "Local" instead of the city and state if the letter was to stay within the town (very small town in northern Ohio).

In Ann Arbor, when I was a student there, we abbreviated the local address as A[superscript]2, read
"A-squared."

Once Zip codes commenced, some A-squared mail would be returned to the sender, depending
(presumably) on which side of the bed the postal worker had arisen that day.

Tim Baehr