More on Tame {Alternatives/NotaBene}

At 3/9/2003 02:01 AM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
For the problem you saw, I would first increase the amount of visible space ("leading") between lines. You can accomplish this several ways: increase the font size, or the zoom factor, or maybe set AutoLeading AL=1 (if AL still has any meaning in NBWin). That's just a guess, based on a similar problem in Xy4-DOS graphic mode: when two lines are so close together that they overprint on-screen, you see strange video artifacts. If you're operating by default in Draft mode, remember that there's a new DraftModeFONT immediate command, DMFONT, that allows you to use a different (e.g. larger) monospaced font in eXPanded, Draft, and Page-Line modes. A second "feature" of NBWin is that it substitutes little yellow internal glyphs for low-order characters like Ascii-0, 9, 10, and 13. Certainly that's a video feat by NB, but I'd be surprised if it caused flicker.
Well, that's a helluva lot more than I got in the many months of back and forth with NB. I still have 5.5 and will reinstall it and give your suggestions a try -- Thanks -- but I'm not shelling out for an upgrade. NB needs to do some work on the basic program instead of just adding features. (Perhaps Ms. Putnam will one day address the basic issues raised here.) BTW, Martin Osborne had collected reports from a few of us on TAME and will soon be in touch with David Thomas. Meanwhile, the sum of a few off-list posts is this: the *worst-case* for XyDos in a Window is not that bad: we can always work in a partition or coax along our W98 machines or invest in *virtual* software and so on. And on this last topic: does anyone have any experience with VMWare? Looking for a comparison with VPC. http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws4_features.html. Michael Norman