Re: XyWin not working

Robert Holmgren wrote:
 My bet, given the DOS
heritage of XyWin, is that it's looking for space in high DOS
memory and not finding it, possibly because USB has usurped that
memory area... Or, possibly, too many GDI objects.
That is what I have suspected for some time. ALL of my systems
have ps/2 ports and built-in floppies, so there is no need for
USB for DOS. And as I hardly ever do anything graphics-oriented,
I tend not to have GDI objects either. And so far, I can run
XyWin (barring the printer problem on the latest setup) on my
machine and the XP and W2K boxes at the office (which I spec'd,
so they too have PS/2 ports and built-in floppies).
 Or... a lot
of things, maybe printer-related -- e.g. it could want to use a
specific printer port, and not find it.
I have had problems with XyWin not finding its printer, but that
doesn't prevent its loading. It just loads and says "Problem with
Windows Printer, using Xy printer drivers" (or words to that
effect). Note also, as I reported before, that I've had it stop
working under 9x too--usually after the system had been running
for several years and was in the end stages of terminal bit-rot.

NBWin has really taken the wind out of this issue. I'm no
longer motivated to figure it out, because NBWin is so much
better (& less buggy) than XyWin, it's just silly to persist
with XyWin unless you can't afford NB.
Practically, you're right, but it just tantalizes me that we
cannot figure out what's going on.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx