Re: XyWin stopped working

Paul Williams wrote:
Would love to answer Pam's point
If I ever need a nom de guerre, this list has provided me with
plenty. I've been Priscilla twice, and now Pam. Oh, well, a rose
by any other name...
but I am a bit lost about her references to lnk and NTVDM. Tell me more and I'll check on the machine where it is working.
Shortcuts to DOS apps are pifs; those to Windows ones, lnks.
Unfortunately, Big Brother Bill Gates doesn't think we poor slobs
of end-users need to know about the differences. So Windows
absolutely, categorically refuses to display those extensions,
even if you have gone into Explorerer->Tools->Folder Properties
and told it to NOT "Hide extensions of known file types." You can
reveal them (at least in 9x; I have to reboot to check XP) by
typing, e.g.,
dir c:\*.pif /s /p
or
dir c:\*.lnk /s /p
in a DOS prompt box.

Let me check further in XP about how to tell which a given
shortcut is.
NTVDM is the NT (that's the kernel that underlies Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP) Virtual DOS Machine, the DOS "environment" in which DOS apps (and both command prompts, command.com and cmd.exe) run. And yes, I did determine that XyWin does run in it.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx