Re: AW: DOS problem solved--XyBasic available

Patricia wrote:
Yes, but VPC is the emulator that Microsludge bought out, isn't it? So how long can we be sure it will continue to run DOS apps? (This is important to me, as I want to move to Linux but won't give up Xy.)
VPC allows you to run various operating systems (even simultaneously) in a
box as if they were on a computer dedicated to them. So you can install a
virtual DOS machine (or, as I have, Win98) on any machine that VPC can run
on. When I'm running Win98/VPC on the Mac, it's just as if I were operating
a legacy Win98 computer. So there's NO issue about whether a DOS app can
run. Incidentally, whether by design or accident (I forget how I set up VPC
on the Mac back in 2004), the Win98 thinks it's FAT16.
On the Mac under VPC, I have installed: DOS only, Win98, and XP. I can run
any or all of them at any time. On my 933 MHz Mac, XP runs too slowly. But
Win98 is quite fast.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx