XyWrite and SGML

This is just an idea I have had floating around in my head for
awhile and thought it was time to test on you, my XyWrite peers.

Have anyone ever thought about a link between XyWrite and SGML,
the Standard Generalized Markup Language? On one hand they
aren't related - XyWrite is a product, SGML a standard. But I
wonder if TTG shouldn't look into this...

After all, XyWrite is the only "mainstream" (hah) word processor
that uses ASCII-only file formats, just like SGML. XyWrite is
fast and flexible. There are no SGML word processors out there
(to my knowledge) that can claim these characteristics. SGML is
increasingly used in the publishing industry because of its
excellent cross-referencing capabilities and portability across
systems. XyWrite isn't very portable, but does have a few inroads
in the publishing business. (Of course, XyWrite isn't too
portable, but as I mentioned, there aren't many good SGML
editors for DOS/Windows/OS-2.)

Anyone else ever thought of this?

Doug Beeson
EDI World Institute