Re: XyWrite and SGML

>"Beeson, Douglas"  writes
>
>Have anyone ever thought about a link between XyWrite and SGML,
the Standard >Generalized Markup Language? On one hand they
aren't related - XyWrite is a >product, SGML a standard. But I
wonder if TTG shouldn't look into this...

>After all, XyWrite is the only "mainstream" (hah) word processor
that uses >ASCII-only file formats, just like SGML. XyWrite is
fast and flexible. There >are no SGML word processors out there
(to my knowledge) that can claim these >characteristics. SGML is
increasingly used in the publishing industry >because of its
excellent cross-referencing capabilities and portability >across
systems. XyWrite isn't very portable, but does have a few inroads
in >the publishing business. (Of course, XyWrite isn't too
portable, but as I >mentioned, there aren't many good SGML
editors for DOS/Windows/OS-2.)

>Anyone else ever thought of this?

Well W***P****** has. There is the "Intellitag" add on for WP. Also, both
WP and MickeySoft Wurd have in the works free addons for conversion to
HTML (language of the World Wide Web--an SGML subset).

There ARE some SGML editors available as well. SoftQuad has one (& the
HTML version is fairly popular--does validation which is unusual for HTML editors).

Something of the sort--either HTML conversion or SGML--would be
interesting & possibly not all that difficult to do.
=======
Rob Rittenhouse  RRITTENHOUSE@xxxxxxxx  * Your new machines may simply
Associate Professor  Computer Science   * suggest new drudgeries.
McMurry University   Abilene TX 79697-0686 * Brecht, Galileo