Re: search

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Judith Davidsen wrote:
> Is there a command that will search to eof and then automatically take
> me to tof to continue the search from there? I've tried SEbf with the
> helpkey but that just takes me to the last occurance of the string and
> returns the message <=|=>|Esc|Return. And changing se to seb takes even
> more keystrokes than returning to tof to resume the search from there.
>
> Any ideas?

O Judith:

I'd suggest a couple of macros: one perhaps on f, the other
on b. The first would consist of F5 then se [space] // ; the second, the same except that instead of "se", type
"seb".

To use, once loaded (using the load program command for each),
type f (or whatever letter you've assigned the search
command to). The command line will then read "se /[cursor]/". You
can now type in whatever you are searching for, and hit F9 or
(since you are already on the command line) .

The search from the cursor to the top of the file works the same
way. In either direction: one combined stroke ( with f or
b), whatever strokes establish what you are searching for, and
one single stroke.

Similarly, you can create a macro that takes an existing text on
the command line "se /[whatever you're looking for]/" and moves
the cursor to the left end of the command line without blanking
it, then moves to the right two spaces, then puts in a "b", and
then executes. This will take you from the end of a forward
search to a search from the cursor to the top of the file with
just one combined stroke.

George Scithers of owlswick@xxxxxxxx