Re: How to truncat

Thanks, everybody. And the winner is --

I wrote an XPL program to define the first line of every paragraph and copy
it over to another window, basically Paul's method. Then I sorted it with
the XyWrite sort, and truncated them by hand with the ctrl-del key.

After I got all through, I realized how I could have used Leslie's
suggestion. I'm using 3.55, so I can't use wildcard search and replace, but
I could have changed the year "2000", which is what most of my years were,
and inserted a carrier return in front of them. Then when I sorted it, all
the big paragraphs with "2000" would float to the top, with the magazine
abbreviations below. That would have been easier.

I did try to download txt20b.zip, but I tried 3 different mirrors and they
they weren't working.

I personally like to use simple DOS utilities with XyWrite.

Anyway. Eventually (and I expected it would have been done by now) I'm
going to be keeping my bibliographic citations in a database. I wish I had
set it up in Paradox for DOS, because yuo could select any word processor
you want to edit the memo fields, including XyWrite. Unfortunately Paradox
DOS had a couple of essential key combinations that conflicted with Windows
(notably alt-space), and I never did much with it.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019