How use scancode test?

I'm a little confused about how to use VA$SC, possibly in conjunction with
, in a program.
I have Alt-q launch an XPL program to do something (what isn't worth going
into).
I want the beginning of the program to turn on DeFine block for the user
and then accept user input until a second Alt-q is given to indicate his
input is done and the program can continue. The user-input is needed for
two things: 1. to extend the DeFine (only the first DF is instituted when
the program is launched).
2. to edit the text in the normal way.
So I want to enable the user (my wife) to use Alt-q to begin the program and then a 2nd Alt-q to set the final part of the program in motion (which then exits normally).
So I need a loop to check whether this second Alt-q has been hit, and
otherwise, respond to the keystrokes as it would normally, not under
program-control.
U2's Scan frame tells me that the scancode for Alt-q is 1040. I used the
the following to test, but I'm unable to get it to work:

XD DF BC Hit alt-q again when ready;*;
GT ;*;
;*;
>;*;
==1040>YES!
;*; <------ this is supposed to make non-alt-q keystrokes register in the text
;*;
Two problems are clear: the very first user keystroke doesn't get registered (subsequent ones do) and when I hit the terminating Alt-q, I see the error message: specify filename (and no YES!), and it doesn't EXit.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx