[cross-post] Style saving in XPL

> From owner-notabene@xxxxxxxx Tue Mar 21 15:30:09 1995
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:46:05 -0500
> Sender: Nota Bene List
> From: "James D. Ernest"
> Subject: Re: Inserting current formats
> Comments: To: Nota Bene List

On Sun, 19 Mar 1995, Gerald McCausland wrote:

 > In NB 3.x a menu line option existed to insert the current
 > format deltas at any point in a file to fascilitate copying
 > and moving blocks of text while preserving current formats.
 > I'm dismayed to discover that this menu line option does not
 > exist in NB 4.x and I can find no mention of it in the
 > Reference Manual. Does anyone know whether the current
 > version still has this feature or, if not, how formats can be
 > conveniently preserved when copying text?

If there is no built-in function to do this, you could pretty
easily create your own xpl program, assign it to a function key,
and invoke it wherever you want the current formats inserted. At
the beginning of the program, you would probably have to switch
to Normal or Page line mode; then for each format feature that
you want to attend to, you would have a line like the following:

 ≪sx20,≪vats≫≫BC ts ≪pv20≫XC

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of would be to insert at
the beginning of each block you want to move a uniquely named
set-style delta with no format changes, followed by a us delta
for the same style name. When you copied the block, you would
leave the ss delta out but copy the us delta. This, however,
would work only within the same document; and I can imagine some
problems with this approach.
Best bet would be the little xpl routine.
James D. Ernest              Joint Doctoral Program
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA   Andover-Newton/Boston College
Internet: ernest@xxxxxxxx      Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

=========== and what do the Xywriters say. =========
note the reply should be to the NotaBene list.