Re: OT: Books on writing?

George Scithers wrote:
And then there's my own ON WRITING SCIENCE FICTION: THE EDITORS STRIKE BACK, by me, Darrell Schweitzer, and the late John M Ford
Now that might well be of value. SF is a specialized genre, and
there are things that writers need to be aware of in such fields.
Two complementary things that always annoy me: in straight SF, a
mention of miles or inches (shades of the--what was that
expensive piece of hardware that went way off course, because
some provincial engineers thought mm were inches?) In heroic
fantasy, on the other hand (e.g., pseudo-Tolkien kind of stuff) a
mention of meters or km. Come on guys, we all know the metric
system was invented just after the French Revolution. Prehistoric
or pseudo-medieval civilizations would know nothing about it.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx