Re: OT: Books on writing?

I think we should distinguish several different kinds of writing.
Creative writing, technical writing, academic writing, and journalism
are four which spring to mind. We could add niche writing, such as
SciFi, radio-tv scripts, periodicals, and many others. Each has its own
special requirements and makes special demands of the writer.

In any case, if the publisher is known in advance, then write and ask
whether they have their own style manual. Many do.

For example, I once tried my hand at gothic romance and submitted my
idea to a publisher. The publisher kindly replied with a thick style
manual which explained exactly what the romance categories are and what
degree of explicitness is allowed for each category. Similarly, for
radio-tv scripts and many periodicals, the broadcaster/editor will
happily provide a style manual to the prospective writer.

For technical writing also, consult the publishers. I write in the field
of networking, for example, and my wife in radiology. Specialty
publishers also often have their own style manuals, free for the asking.
In my case, writing RFCs (protocols), the powers that be (Internet
Engineering Task Force) issue a document where everything is laid out,
down to specifying _two_ spaces after a full stop, analytical table of
contents, how many lines per page, etc. etc. The style expected is the
style _they_ use in their own document.

Academic writing is another kettle of fish and can be very jargony and
stilted. Here again, many editors of scholarly journals will refer you
to a style manual, or send you sample articles in the style they expect.

For grammar and usage (who/whom etc.), I recommend "Practical English
Usage" by Michael Swan, OUP, and, of course, Fowler (not the revised
edition by Ernest Gower).

In my experience, writing, rewriting, and editing are three distinct
processes. However, this a matter of temperament. Bertrand Russell
penned finished copy, whereas Wittgenstein cut and pasted his whole life
long and managed to publish only about 100 pages (which he later
repudiated).

If the difficulty is writing at all, not the specific style, then what
is lacking is not a how-to book, but inspiration. No book will give you
that. Either you've got something to say or you haven't. If you haven't
and you say it anyway, it's twaddle no matter how elegantly you put it.