Re: uniqcomp.pm - Working for others?

** Reply to message from Correo Fenda  on Wed, 23 Nov
2005 08:21:37 +0100

> Updating my U2 with the "post for errata" version, I have discovered
> that frames CLIPW, FUNCTABLE, NAME2NUMBER, CHCASE, WDWD and COUNTCHARS
> are slightly modified too.

All modified for NBWin.

> There is a new frame: .

Don't ask! It's very narrow purpose. But OK (since you ask): when you CLIP
between XyWrite and NBWin, there is a small problem. NBWin is CodePage 1252,
with two exceptions -- the guillemets, Ascii-174 and 175. In other words, it
is *almost* compliant with the 1252 character set, but not quite. In 1252, 174
and 175 should be a Registered symbol and a macron, while guillemets should be
171 and 187 (and 171|187 display that way in NBWin too -- but they aren't the
"hot" kind of guillemet used in XPL). For backwards compatibility, NBWin
*displays* 174 and 175 as colored guillemets. They could have displayed them
as Registered and macron (that, after all, is the way you see them in ANSIfied
XyWrite), but it looks wierd & unfamiliar, so they didn't. And anyway, they
didn't want you poking hot guillemets into your text, thinking they were just
innocent symbols -- that would be very sticky.

CLIP performs a dead-accurate translation from CodePage 437 or 850 (Xy4) to
1252 (NB). That means it converts 174 to 171 and 175 to 187. This is
desirable in every program, excepting only NB! Everything that you clip from
Xy4 or Xy3 to NBWin displays correctly in NBWin, except that the guillemets
don't "work" any longer in programming, formatting, or anything. Frame
simply converts those two characters back to 174 and 175, so that they work.
The only place this would be meaningful would be if you CLIP formats or XPL
code from XyWrite to NBWin.

> The new separator
> used in TRANSLATE appears in ansified XyWrite as "ú" but I suppose it is
> not a problem.

Not a problem.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx