Re: Subj:Re: Wildcard replace and no 64k limit

At 06:03 PM 5/14/96 +0900, you wrote:
>Actually, I think I followed all the steps. The only
>difference I can see is that I didn't immediately open
>a new file, but did it in the mail capture file I
>was reading (I use XY to read e-mail...), and then
>SAD-ed it to the MINI.PGM file. Maybe that's a no-no?
>I'll try it differently tonight.
The thing is sometimes finicky. You're always safer testing by getting
*everything* all set up and then closing down Xy and re-loading it. I had to do that to
get the thing to work for me the first time. > >>> And there! You've written your first (I
take it) XPL program! Now,
>Oh no! I have a number of those already. But being a
>card-carrying computer nincompoop, I always take the
>the dummy approach: Make a copy of the startup.int file,
>and edit it. Voila... instant XY programs.

Interesting approach. I can't see what that gains you other than a bunch of
BC or BX functions all ready for you. But you can get any of those by simply preceding the
two-letter mnemonic on the command line with "pfunc" as in creating "mini.pgm."
Or: why
not edit a preceding XPL pgm?
If you know BASIC, you could try my "award winning" BASIC-to-XPL compiler--XyBasic. Soon
to be obsolete.
>Anyway, I follow the information in this list with a mixture
>of awe and amazement.
Yeah, we see a lot of life go by here. I'm reminded of a line from "Yankee
Doodle Dandy"--when Cagney seats his lady love by the restaurant's plate glass window, at
street level: "There you are. Two seats front row center on the greatest show on earth:
the people."
Regards,
Harry

     Harry Binswanger