Re: XyWrite for Windows versus XP Pro/SP2

Reply to note from Bill Mallon  Sat, 04 Dec 2004
06:01:40 -0500

[Resend - first try was truncated]

> c:
> cd \xywrite
> editor

EDITOR.EXE is the DOS program. XyDOS under XP is a piece of cake.
But Ed R.'s question is about XyWrite for Windows. The Windows
executable is XW.EXE. It's undercooked 16-bit ancient-ware, and it
doesn't run under Windows XP. At least, I can't get it to run.
However I launch it, whether from a command prompt or a Desktop
shortcut, nothing happens; no error message, nothing. Neither of
the two suggestions posted earlier (COMMAND.COM, setting Path
variable) had any effect. The "Program Compatibility Wizard" came a
cropper as well.

There's an obvious solution for Xy users who prefer a GUI editor:
Upgrade to Nota Bene for Windows. It'll cost you, and it's still
not what I would call a polished product (more like version 0.7 than
the version 7 they've dubbed it), but it's way ahead of XyWin and it
continues to be actively developed (v8, we're told, is coming soon).
Most important, it's XyWrite under the hood. And it runs under
Windows XP.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx