How XyWrite handles keystrokes {VPC report}

At 10/23/2003 11:14 AM -0400, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
A very good question, but one also has to consider how modern hardware
and opsyses handle them. We've heard about the keyboard and screen
coordination problems in XP and (until the last patch) 2K.
A quick report on VPC. We finally got it installed last week on an XP 1.6 G
machine (dell) with 256 ram. Installed W98SE as the guest. Got XyDos4 set
up in a Window (DosBox) in the 98 shell. And, as Robert reported some time
ago, XY running in a VPC W98SE guest was pokey. Not jerky -- as it is
running in XP in a window, w or w/o Tame -- just slow. Our IT person is
going to install more ram to see if this helps. Since we have become
accustomed to Xy's speed -- speed during composition and in all the
program's functions -- the VPC solution was disappointing. Perhaps the M$
version of VPC -- soon to be released, web site claims -- will improve
performance. Or perhaps an SP2 will soon be released for XP and solve this
problem, as the latest SP did for w2000. Our IT person was extremely
reluctant to test a double-boot setup from XP. He says such a setup for W98
is fraught with difficulties, though I'm sure some here have done so
successfully.

Michael Norman