Re: XyWin & bug vs. feature

On 20 Jan 97 at 16:46, Robert Holmgren wrote:

[snip]

> A handy format for working on databases, IMO. It allows user to
> see a complete data record (up to 22 columns) on a single
> textmode screen.

There's efficacy in that for certain kinds of columnar tables but
not all kinds. However, the point is that it would be nice if
the display *stayed* in the mode. It does not. I haven't kept a
list of the various actions that cause the display to switch modes
(simple cursor movements have done it, bookmark jumping, search
jumping, header/footer editing, among other things). It's a flaw,
and indefensible IMO.

> If you glance up at the Ruler line, a highlight indicates where the
> column you're currently editing will actually appear,
> horizontally, when printed. Each individual column wraps at the
> width specified in the document's CT command.

I get different appearences on the ruler line with different CT
formatted files. But in no case do I get anything other than a
right margin marker shift. I'm not getting any indication via
ruler line as to where the column will actually appear. The left
margin marker doesn't budge regardless which column I'm in (while
in draft view). If, say, column 2 is to begin at 45 and wrap at
65, all I get on the ruler line is a right marker going to 65 but
the left marker is still at zero. If I go to column 1, the right
marker shifts to, say, 35, left marker remains at zero. So I see
the column 1 position a la the ruler line, but not column 2 or
more.

And that's with tables that actually shift the right marker.
Other tables don't even do that. I haven't deciphered the
difference in the CT string to understand why some shift the right
marker when I move into a different column and why some do not.
But none of mine shift the left marker on the ruler line.

Of course, all of that assumes one is able to *remain* in draft
view and my experience thus far is that so many things throw me
out of draft view for page-line view, I've given up on draft view,
defaulting instead to page-line view and that annoying page break
line because that's where I'm going to wind up in a matter of
minutes of working anyway. (Notwithstanding I wouldn't want to
work in a vertical layout of CT columns when working on a dual
column screenplay since I need to see at which lines in the visual
column on the left I have to insert the respective audio
instructions in the column on the right. In single column
screenplays, however, this is a nuisance. I may have but one CT
construction somewhere in the script of people talking
simultaneously, thus two or three horizontal columns of dialog,
and that single instance will still cause the document to be
thrown out of draft view for page-line view if I perform any of
the myriad actions that trigger this "design flaw.")

Bob