XyWrite vs NB keyboard files

Why use the NB version of the XyWrite keyboard file instead of
our own, usually customised, version? One reason is to prevent
calls to routines that seem not to exist in NB but are part of
the standard Xy4 keyboard. Log/Resume on Ctl-L is one such. When
I had my own Xy4 keyboard loaded in NB, Ctl-L would bring up a
menu that then led to an endless loop that ultimately produced a
GPF wipeout of NB. I assume there are other keys that do things
in Xy4/XyWin that are either not used or have other assignments
in NB. This would be one reason to use the NB version of the
XyWrite keyboard file.

Having now done this (made the NB XyWrite file the default), I
have a problem with the characters returned by certain keys.
When I type key 40, apostrophe/shifted double quote, I get
either the diphthong ae or circumflex o on the screen.

This is key 40 in the shift table in NB:
40=FF,&G,Q,2
The same key in XyWin is:
40="
which is what I want. Can anyone tell me what the NB code means?
Is it something to do with the code page, which on this OS/2
machine is 850,437? Has anyone else had a similar keyboard
problem with NB? All help appreciated.

Cheers,
John Gordon