cursor movement problem

An irritating glitch has developed in cursor movement with my XyDos 4.017,
running under Win 95 and now in recently installed Win 98. On alt-arrow
commands an extraneous ascii character appears where the cursor stops. On
movements with alt-right arrow, if I jump a single word, a heart (ascii 03)
appears. If two words, B (ascii 66); three words ascii 154; skipping four
words nothing extra appears; five words ascii 106; six words ascii 42; and
seven or more words ascii 170.

Similarly skipping backward, one word inserts ascii 04, two words 44, three
words 188, four words 92, five words 156, and six or more 169.

Has this happened to anyone else, and how does one solve it? (TIA.)
          Bruce Felknor