Re: Windows 2000 question

On 1/4/07, Flash wrote:
Bob,
Try switching off your antivirus software and then restarting Xy. Some av software checks literally everything before allowing any program to start or open files.

And I replied,

>I doubt that's the problem; I run AVG free, and have no conflicts.
Well, if Bob has an always-on connection, that might be an issue. This morning I went to check my e-mail. Finding a list post (my own about net traffic) there, I went to open Xy and paste it into the archive of the list that I keep. Just as Xy was loading, up popped AVG free with its Update File Download. The Xy load hung (blank, black screen surrounded by the Window border) while AVG updated itself. And the update, which is usually nice and fast, even over my ancient phone lines, took a long time and at points dropped to a rate of 479 Bytes/second. Once it was done, Xy finished loading and everything went OK. But if you had an always-on connection, and AVG was checking for updates when Xy was trying to load, you could find yourself mired.
The solution is simple: AV programs--this and others--usually have a
setting for check for updates. Either manually turn it off when you're
getting ready to load Xy, or keep it turned off and run it manually
once a day or however often you think necessary. With dial-up, I just
need to remember to open Xy BEFORE going on-line.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx