Excess CPU activity 8.1/VB/XP/Xy4

I complained earlier of keyboard slowdowns in Win 8.1/VirtualBox/XP/Xy4.
I can report that running only Xy4 on this rig results in a constant 20% CPU usage (as reported by Win 8.1 for VB). Something must be very wrong!

If I quit XyWrite, CPU usage for VB/XP goes down to about 0.5%-1.0%.
My custom settings were compatibility Win 2000 (previously nothing - - I had hoped that would fix access to the virtual network; it didn't) and Idle Sensitivity all the way to LOW. previously middle.
Going to compatibility NONE and Idle Sensitivity HIGH brings me back
to CPU usage about 1% (as reported in VB).
It makes me want to go back to trying to working my problems out in W2K.