Speed Limits

Tim, et. al. :

I've received a couple promising leads on Compuserve, re the
refuse-to-load errors I've been seeing on my old version of
TextBridge Pro OCR software, which did work at some point in the
past. These seem to support my theory that this is a case of a
CPU that is too fast for the program. Probably happened when I
upgraded from a 200 mhz. PPro to the 450 mhz. P-II I have now,
about a year ago. I had not tried to use TextBridge in a long
time, so I never noticed that it stopped working, until now.

It occurs to me that other older s/w may succumb to this problem,
esp. in the event of future h/w upgrades. A standard DOS era
Comm pgm., ProComm Plus, which I still use for certain tasks,
had a very similar problem. It stopped loading, and gave a
suspiciously similar error, when I went to the PPro-200. In that
case, despite the age and perceived obsolescence of the program,
the developer was conscientious enough to release a patch to
overcome this. However, they did not release patches for all the
supported Xfer protocols, so it is still possible to crash during
file xfers, if you happen to choose the wrong one.

The reason for this preamble: Empirically speaking, I see that Xy
3+ and up still run fine here on a 450 mhz. processor. I have
purchased some upgrade components, including a P-III 1Ghz. CPU.
There are other programs besides TextBridge that I would sorely
miss if they dropped out after such an upgrade, most of all Xy.
In fact, it's a dealkiller. I want to be very sure it -- and
several others -- do not have any problem with this before I make
any changes.

Anyone running Xy (any version) at 1 Ghz. ?

Jordan