Re: WILDCARD by CLD

Okay Patricia. My keyboard accurately reflects the shifted states for
numlock, scroll lock etc. It's an old Gateway "anykey" programmable (I
can hear the wheels turning in your head at that). Just to be sure
I'll check everything again and get back to you. FW.

On 4/29/06, Patricia M. Godfrey  wrote:
Fred Weiner wrote:
>Carl had written:
>>
>> Was NumLock engaged? That would do it.
>>Fred replied:
> No, it was not. Nor the other shift-state keys.

I understand that Robert has FIXED this "problem"; but I am still
intrigued by why it happened. Esp. as Fred says he hadn't set any of the
lock keys on. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask FW, "How do
you know it wasn't engaged?" Maybe you hadn't done anything to put it
on, but most systems' setup routines (accessed by hitting a key--an
on-screen message at boot up SHOULD tell you which, but certain brands
don't deign to do this--before Windows loads) have a setting for numlock
condition. And apparently (from some posts I've seen here) the LEDs on
the keyboard sometimes don't accurately reflect that condition. And
apparently W2K and XP can override the BIOS settings. (On 1 Aug 2005,
Robert explained how to fix it in the Windows registry. See also the
Tame discussions, where the author of Tame mentions a numlock problem.)
My system is very well-behaved in this respect: if numlock is on, the
LED is lit; if it isn't, it isn't, so I cannot test here.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx