Re: Re Backspace

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> 	Michael's question reminded me of an MS I worked on a few years ago,
> which dealt with matters Korean. That too had macrons and breves all over
> the place, and we went crazy trying to print them in Xy. Even using a
> Postscript printer and tweaking the printer file didn't work. We finally
> had to just use some odd characters and tell the typesetters to change,
> say, every yen symbol to o macron once they got it into Quark.
> Ironically, one could do it on a dot matrix printer, because that lets
> you embed a backspace code in the substitution table. But though
> Postscript claims to have a backspace code, I could never get it to
> work--though my brother, who uses the Mac, swore it does on that
> platform. And I have just discovered that the ISO Latin character set
> doen not include a ligatured ae with an acute accent--something one needs
> if writing ecclesiastical Latin, where the acute is used rather than the
> macron of classical grammr books. O tempora! O mores! So, Lisa, what
> printer driver are you using? because neither XyDOS's native Epson 850
> (which is more or less compatible with the Stylus Color 800), nor XyWin
> using the Windows driver, does a backspace. Furthermore, the acute by
> itself (722) doesn't print under the 850; one just gets the black box of
> a nonsupported character.
> Patricia

Depending on how heavy your usage of accented characters, you might want
to download the trial Lingua Workstation version of Nota Bene for
Windows at
	http://www.notabene.com/

and explore the nearly 3000 accented (and multiply accented)
characters provided from menus, dead accent entry, and whatever
obligatory third method of doing anything the Xy heritage brings to
NB. Information about Lingua at
  http://www.notabene.com/brochure/lingua.html

Otherwise, special fonts from SIL or other organizations may solve your
problem --see for example Fonts in Cyberspace at
	http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/

Cheers,
Dorothy

Dorothy Day