Re Backspace

	To Mike Shupp: No, it isn't long file names either, because I tried
doing DIR on a directory that itself had a long name and had some files
with long names. And XyWDOS read it fine. It's something specifically in
C:\Program Files, which, recall, is created by Windows.
	A big thanks to George for the XyWrite to Ventura routine. But I have a
couple of questions: 1) First you say <@147> is open double quotes (XyW
264), then that it's close single or apostrophe (Xy 267). If Ventura is
following the ISO Latin coding, 145 is open single, 146 is close single
(or apostrophe), 147 is open double, and 148 is close double. But
wouldn't it be easier to let XyWrite's own fix quotes routine (it was
assigned to F2-Q in the out-of-the-box SAVEGET.SGT, but it also put in
ligatures that few printers support) to convert the ", ", ', and ` to
their XyW formatted values, then CI them to Ventura's? Or one might try
my kludgy workaround when I have to convert smart quotes to WordImPerfect
(which WordPort makes a mess of): I use ` for open single, ' for close
single and apostrophe, { for open double, and } for close double. Then
you could just CI on them.
2) Suppose you're using additive modes? I sometimes have an italic word
or string of words in a bold heading. So I want to turn itals on and off
midway through, but not turn off bold til the end. So changing ≪MD-IT≫
to  won't work. Of course, I could and should assign a style
(≪USH1≫) to the heading, and then change that to Ventura's style tag.
	Michael's question reminded me of an MS I worked on a few years ago,
which dealt with matters Korean. That too had macrons and breves all over
the place, and we went crazy trying to print them in Xy. Even using a
Postscript printer and tweaking the printer file didn't work. We finally
had to just use some odd characters and tell the typesetters to change,
say, every yen symbol to o macron once they got it into Quark.
Ironically, one could do it on a dot matrix printer, because that lets
you embed a backspace code in the substitution table. But though
Postscript claims to have a backspace code, I could never get it to
work--though my brother, who uses the Mac, swore it does on that
platform. And I have just discovered that the ISO Latin character set
doen not include a ligatured ae with an acute accent--something one needs
if writing ecclesiastical Latin, where the acute is used rather than the
macron of classical grammr books. O tempora! O mores! So, Lisa, what
printer driver are you using? because neither XyDOS's native Epson 850
(which is more or less compatible with the Stylus Color 800), nor XyWin
using the Windows driver, does a backspace. Furthermore, the acute by
itself (722) doesn't print under the 850; one just gets the black box of
a nonsupported character.
Patricia