Re: ex1 vs. ex

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Tue, 16 Nov
2004 22:24:41 -0500

> Yes, I know about [HIDE and UNHIDE] and have used them once or
> twice. But they generally seem unnecessary for what I'm doing.

You mentioned "some intermittent problems I've had using PUTCR and
UNPUTCR in my programs", apparently due to S/G conflicts. So
_something_ is necessary for what you're doing. You have two
choices -- well, actually, three -- if you want to avoid S/G
conflicts. Use HIDE, RENUMBER your code, or RENUMBER the U2 routine
used in your code.

> I've heard about "structured programming" for decades but I
> don't know what it is (you needn't try to educate me).

It refers to a kind of programming that uses self-contained modules
(such as XPL's U2 frames) to perform discrete tasks. These modules
are reusable (write once, use many times), so you don't have to
reinvent the wheel every time the task arises. Nor, in theory, do
you need to understand the inner workings of these modules. You
just summon them when you need them. Here's a definition:

http://www.instantweb.com/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?structured+language

Say, Harry, what's with the fancy HTML mail all of a
sudden?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx