Re: ex1 vs. ex

On 11/17/04, Carl wrote:

> Say, Harry, what's with the fancy HTML mail all of a sudden? I haven't considered it my place to mention this, but since Carl has brought it up, there's another problem with some posts lately. When we joined this list, we all got a nice welcome message, which said, among other things, «we also ask that ...when... your e-mail program asks you whether want to
quote the message to which are replying, ... you limit your quotation.» As things have been lately, A posts a query. B replies to A and quotes A's query in toto. C chimes in and quotes A and B in toto. By the time we get to E or F, the thread looks like the nursery rhyme about the old woman and her pig ("The cat began to catch the rat...") This makes subsequent searches (if one saves posts on one's own PC, as I do) needlessly tedious. (Hmm. Now how do Carl and Robert weed all that out of the archive? Deltags cleans out the extraneous HTML formatting and duplicate versions that text-only e-mail apps leave you with, but not, as far as I can see, overquoting.)