Re: UNDO--isolating the problem

Robert wrote:
 Defaults always have higher priority -- they are
uber-commands, Ring Zero. The only way to cancel a default is
to change it. Think about it.
I didn't know that defaults have higher priority than a specifically
ordered command. Isn't that a misuse of the concept "default"--which means:
in the absence of a specific order?
> Does this mean I must choose between having BAK files and using UNDO?

Of course not -- XyWrite can skin that cat many ways. Is
removing /NV a *solution* to the dilemma? No, because UnDo
needs it for DeFined text (= [UNTITLED] docs). UnDo could
toggle BK temporarily, of course. But the simplest solution is
to change "BAK" to "BAQ" or something like that.
Great idea! It's so simple, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I was
thinking the /nv would be taken out.
 I'll do that
tonight when I get a moment... Debugging long distance is not
my favorite use of time -- and the reason I (often) get
irritated is, with the thing in front of me this would have been
solved in one minute flat.
Yes, I totally agree. I've tried to do that with people by phone, and even
then, you don't know what they're seeing on their screens and it's a mess.
 Instead, I spent a couple of hours
poking around in UnDo.exe, looking for access or timing issues
that don't exist. You remember Joe Friday? "Just the facts"...

Yes, he's my hero in that regard.
Who wants to clutter up their disk with a
backup of every single file they create? For important files,
there are much more sophisticated methods of maintaining backups
(SAVEBAK, etc).
But doesn't that require the user to make a judgment of importance? I
prefer the safety of all those automatic .BAK files. Yes, they add clutter,
but Xy files are small (though numerous). I've been making .BAK files since
I began with Xy in 1987, and the clutter has never bothered me.
> UNDO would seem to supersede BAKs anyway.

No! UnDo is NOT creating permanent backups! It maintains a
transient capability to UnDo and ReDo -- that's the A and Z of
it. YOU, the user, are not intended to dip into C:\XY\UD
manually and do what you want with those files (which come and
go). You'll screw up the operation of the program. \UD is
*RESERVED* to UnDo -- which means that it's a no-go area.

Oh, that hadn't penetrated my skull. Thanks for pointing it out.

This UNDO facility is a great thing! And they said it couldn't be done!

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx